Teen guilty of taking part in 'scary' attack where gardai surrounded, beaten and pushed in front of car in Balbriggan

Published date17 December 2020
Publication titleDublinLive (Ireland)
The detectives responded to a 999 call in Balbriggan but were attacked and an attempt was made to grab one of their official firearms, a trial has heard.

The youth, aged 17, at the time of the incident pleaded not guilty of taking part in violent disorder by using or threatening to use violence on the night of June 13 last year.

However, following a hearing before Judge Treasa Kelly at Dublin Children's Court, he was found guilty.

Sentencing was adjourned until February 3 next for a probation report to be prepared.

The incident happened outside Balbriggan Garda station.

The trial heard the youth encouraged the crowd to attack the detectives after he was arrested.

The court heard a passing motorist contacted gardai after noticing a group of youths outside the station surrounding another person who was "balled up" on the ground. He was kicked and punched, she said.

Detective Garda Gerard Moroney told the trial that at about 11.55pm he and colleague Detective Garda Colm Fitzpatrick were on patrol. They observed 15 males and another male on the ground.

One youth told the garda detectives to "stop harassing us", he said.

The witnesses said his colleague approached the teenager and asked for his details.

He said the youth replied "you are not getting my fucking name".

Detective Garda Moroney told the court he told the teenager, "We can do it here or in the station" but the teen refused to give his name.

He was arrested and allegedly told the other youths, "get them off me, attack them, film it, all of this kind of stuff," Detective Garda Moroney told the court.

The detectives...

To continue reading

Request your trial

VLEX uses login cookies to provide you with a better browsing experience. If you click on 'Accept' or continue browsing this site we consider that you accept our cookie policy. ACCEPT